Monday, November 15, 2010

TSA: Idiocracy in the here and now

Last week I flew from Des Moines to Reagan Int'l and a few days later flew out to a connecting flight in Detroit before landing back in Des Moines. This is my observation of the TSA and air traffic in general.

Last Week we had two things:
"Unions representing pilots at American Airlines and US Airways last week advised their 14,000 members to avoid the scanners, calling them intrusive and saying they could emit dangerous radiation." (UPI News) (AIT)

Second was an individual incident:
(AP video) " “if you touch my junk I'm going to have you arrested.” and now he faces a civil suite.

So, DSM is usually friendly, and quick and this time was no different. I believe that my drop off to the gate was under 15 min. (Quick tip to check in the day before via the internet) One thing different and I don't know if it was new or just because I was going to DC was a "vapor" sniff of my open water bottle before getting on the plane. As part of the rules you get pretty much locked down in your seat for the last hour of the flight and can only use the toilette in the back of the plane.

On my return trip I thought there was a chance I would have to use the newer AIT but not even much of a chance as I only saw one person put in it. I am going to assume I'm too big to use the machine and if ever chosen I will have to be patted down.

I had some time to sit and watch and what I saw two TSA agents that couldn't have been any help except to "observe and report" much like the movie. One gentleman was as big as I am, I know how fast I can run, yes he was at least 10 years younger but still at our size people can run away. The other agent was a pregnant woman who had to un-tuck her shirt to walk around, again not sure who she was gong to stop in an emergency.

The TSA has not changed any since 9/11 except in the way that the government has changed. Blotted with cash and inefficient. Their little high tech toys are still being used by people that would have a tough time getting a serious security job or any job that calls for independent rational thought. Sorry guys.

No comments: